Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay announces Common Entrance Examination for Design (CEED) 2024 for MDes and PhD Admission
CEED 2024 for MDes and PhD Admission – IIT Bombay has released the notification for Common Entrance Examination for Design (CEED) 2024. CEED is a qualifying examination for admission to Master of Design (MDes) programmes at IISc Bangalore, IIT Bombay, IIT Delhi, IIT Guwahati, IIT Hyderabad, IIT Jodhpur, IIT Kanpur, IIT Roorkee, IIITDM Jabalpur and PhD programmes at several IITs and design schools. The objective of the Common Entrance Exam for Design (CEED) is to assess the candidate’s aptitude for design involving visual perception ability, drawing skills, logical reasoning, creativity, communication, and problem solving skills. candidate can check the post below for more details on CEED 2024 such as program offered, important dates, eligibility criteria, exam pattern, application process and more
Common Entrance Examination for Design (CEED) 2024
Candidates interested to apply for CEED 2024 must keep in mind the important dates which are given below-
- Start Date for Online Registration with Regular Fee: October 03, 2023, 01:00 pm
- Last Date for Online Registration with Regular Fee: October 31, 2023
- Online Registration with Late Fee: November 01 to November 08, 2023
- Start date for Admit Card Downloading: January 05, 2024, 01:00 pm
- Last Date for Rectification of Discrepancies in the Admit Card: January 11, 2024, 5:00 pm
- Date of CEED 2024 Exam: January 21, 2024 (Sunday, 9:00 am to 12:00 noon)
- Release of Draft Answer Key for Part-A & Part-A: January 23, 2024
- Last Date for Uploading Comments (if any) on the Draft Answer Key for Part-A: January 25, 2024, 5:00 pm
- Release of Final Answer Key for Part-A: January 31, 2024
- Announcement of Cut-Off Marks for Part-A: February 08, 2024
- Declaration of Results: March 06, 2024
- Score Cards Available for Downloading: March 11, 2024
- Last Date for Downloading Score Cards: June 12, 2024
Institute and Programme(s)
- Centre for Product Design and Manufacturing, IISc Bangalore: MDes in Product Design and Engineering PhD in Design
- IDC School of Design, IIT Bombay: MDes in Industrial Design, Communication Design, Animation, Interaction Design, Mobility and Vehicle Design PhD in Design
- Department of Design, IIT Delhi: MDes in Industrial Design PhD in Design
- Department of Design, IIT Guwahati: MDes in Design PhD in Design
- Department of Design, IIT Hyderabad: MDes in Visual Design PhD in Design
- XR Design, IIT Jodhpur: MDes in XR Design
- Design Programme, IIT Kanpur: MDes in Design PhD in Design
- Department of Design, IIT Roorkee: MDes in Industrial Design
- Design Discipline, IIITDM Jabalpur: MDes in Design
CEED 2024 Eligibility Criteria
It is crucial for students to ensure their eligibility to apply for CEED 2024. Here we have listed down the important eligibility criteria for admission.
- Candidates must have completed a degree/diploma/post graduate degree programme of minimum THREE years (after 10+2 level), or must be appearing for the final examination of such a program by July 2024, or must have passed the GD Arts diploma programme (10+5 level) by July 2024.
- Note that the eligibility criteria for admission to various institutes may differ from those for appearing for CEED. Before applying for CEED, candidates must check whether they meet the required eligibility criteria for admission to various institutes.
- There is no age limit to appear for CEED. Also, a candidate can appear for CEED any number of times..
All candidates have to follow the application process for the CEED 2024 Exam.
- CEED registration form must be submitted ONLINE ONLY through the official website,
To complete the registration procedure, you need to upload the following items:
- File containing your recent colour photograph (.jpg file) as per the dimensions mentioned on the registration portal.
- Scanned copy of your signature (.jpg file).
- Scanned copy of your degree/diploma certificate (.pdf file), if the course is completed. If you do not have the final degree certificate, please upload a copy of the final year mark list or the provisional certificate. If the course is not completed, upload a certificate from the Principal of your college/Head of the department as per the format given in Appendix 1 (.pdf file).
- Candidates applying under the EWS/SC/ST/OBC-NCL category must produce valid category certificates (.pdf file) issued by appropriate authorities. EWS/OBC-NCL certificates issued only from April 1, 2023 onwards are accepted for the examination. The candidates must produce a valid category certificate when applying for admission to the respective institute. The format of the OBC-NCL certificate is given in Appendix 2. The format of the SC/ST certificates is given in Appendix 3. The format of the EWS certificate is given in Appendix 4.
- Candidates applying under the physical disability (PwD) category should produce a valid medical certificate (.pdf file) issued by the appropriate authority (see Appendices 5 to 8). The certificate must clearly state that the disability is at least 40%, to avail the reservation. Dyslexic candidates are required to additionally obtain a certificate from the Principal/Head of their College/Institution as per Appendix 9 (.pdf file). For Dyslexic candidates, the certificate must clearly state that the nature of disability is SEVERE and PERMANENT.
- PwD candidates requiring the services of a scribe and/or compensatory time during the exam must upload a request letter as per Appendix 10 (.pdf file).
- Candidates whose name is not the same as the name on the degree/diploma certificate should produce a gazette notification, a marriage certificate or scanned pages of the passport reflecting the change of name (.pdf file).
Candidates are required to pay the application fee to sit for the examination. The application fee is as follows –
- Rs. 1900 for all women candidates
- Rs. 1900 for (SC/ST/PwD) candidates
- Rs. 3800 for all other candidates
- Note that this registration fee is non-refundable and non-transferable. The registration fee has to be paid through the payment option provided on the website while submitting the registration form.
- The online registration portal gives detailed instructions related to the payment of registration fees. Credit card, debit card and net-banking options are available
CEED 2024 Exam Pattern
In order to prepare for the exam, candidates should be well aware of the exam pattern. Candidates can check the exam pattern given below for CEED 2024
- CEED 2024 will be conducted on Sunday, January 21, 2024 from 9:00 am – 12:00 noon. This examination will consist of two parts, Part-A and Part-B. Candidates must attempt questions from both the parts. Part-A will be conducted from 9:00 am to 10:00 am followed by Part-B from 10:00 am to 12:00 noon.
- Part-A contains objective questions of three types: Numerical Answer Type (NAT), Multiple Choice Question (MCQ), and Multiple Select Question (MSQ). Answers to Part-A have to be given on the computer. These will be design aptitude type questions that evaluate visual and spatial ability, environmental and social awareness, analytical and logical reasoning, language, observation and design sensitivity of the candidates.
- Part-B consists of five questions to test design, drawing and writing skills. The questions in Part-B will be displayed on the computer screen, and the answers should be written in the answer book provided by the invigilator (NOT into the Computer). However, you need to tick the appropriate box on the computer screen to indicate that you have answered the same. Part-B answer books will be collected at the end of the examination.
- Note: A summary of the question paper structure is given in the Information Brochure.
Question Paper Structure
|Section||No. of Questions||Q. No||Marks if Correct||Marks if Wrong||Marks if Not Attempted||Total Marks|
|NAT||8||1 – 8||3||0||0||24|
|MSQ||10||9 – 18||3||– 0.2||0||30|
|MCQ||23||19 – 41||2||– 0.5||0||46|
|Total||41||1 – 41||100|
Number of Questions
1 – 5
- Shortlisting: Marks obtained in Part-A will be used to shortlist candidates. The cut-off marks (δ) for Part-A for shortlisting candidates in the GEN category will be μ+(σ2)⁄=δ, where μ is the average mark, and σ is the standard deviation of distribution of marks obtained by ALL the candidates in Part-A of CEED 2024.
CEED 2024 Admit Card
- Admit Card will be available for downloading from the official CEED website (www.ceed.iitb.ac.in) from January 05, 2024 till the date of the examination
- Please take a clear printout of the Admit Card before coming to the examination centre.
- In case of any discrepancies in the Admit Card, please write to [email protected] latest by January 11, 2024, 5:00 pm.
CEED 2024 Syllabus
Syllabus is an additional asset that candidates may use to help with effective preparations for CEED 2024.
- CEED 2024 will be in two parts (A & B). Part-A will have questions related to the following topics:
- Visualization and spatial ability: Pictorial and diagrammatic questions to test the understanding of transformation and/or manipulation of 2D shapes and 3D objects and their spatial relationships.
- Environmental and social awareness: General awareness of environmental factors (such as climate, population, water, vegetation, pollution, weather, natural resources) and their implications on the design of products, images, infrastructure and environment. Awareness of design terminologies, social and cultural connection with design, history of the designed artefact, and socially responsible and environmentally sustainable design responses. History of art, sculpture and literature.
- Analytical and logical reasoning: Ability to analyse given information logically and select the most appropriate solutions; ability to weigh opinions, arguments or solutions against appropriate criteria; ability to use logic and structured thinking to deduce from a short passage, which of a number of statements is the most accurate response to a posed question.
- Language and creativity: Ability to understand passages in commonly used English language; ability to think creatively in terms of alternatives; ability to distinguish innovative options and think out-of-the-box.
- Design thinking and problem solving: Ability to understand the context, the users and the constraints and select the most appropriate solution for a given design problem.
- Observation and design sensitivity: Ability to detect concealed properties in day-to-day life and think critically about them. Ability to discern subtle differences in visual properties and aesthetic outcomes.
- The draft keys for Part-A will be released on January 23, 2024. Candidates can access and download their responses through the link provided on the official CEED 2024 website. Candidates can report the discrepancies in the draft answer keys through the candidate’s portal on the official CEED website by January 25, 2024 (5:00 pm).
- The responses of the candidates for Part-A of CEED 2024 will be available for download ONLY until the declaration of the CEED results. Downloading of Part-A responses will be DISABLED once the CEED results are declared. No further requests shall be entertained in this regard.
Result Declaration Date: March 6, 2024
- From March 11, 2024 CEED Score Card will be available for downloading to all the candidates who appeared for CEED 2024 on the official CEED website (www.ceed.iitb.ac.in) through their respective logins.
- The Score Card will NOT be available for downloading after June 12, 2024. Hardcopy of the CEED Score Card will NOT be sent to any candidate.
- Answer booklets will be preserved ONLY for a period of three months from the date of declaration of CEED results.
- CEED 2024 will be held in the following cities – Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Bhopal, Bhubaneswar, Chandigarh, Coimbatore, Chennai, Dehradun, Delhi, Ernakulam, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Kolkata, Kozhikode, Lucknow, Mumbai, Mysuru, Nagpur, Noida, Panaji, Patna, Pune, Raipur, Thiruvananthapuram, Thrissur, and Visakhapatnam.
For more details and to apply online, please visit the official website