Tata Institute of Fundamental Research announces TIFR GS 2024 for Admission to PhD and Integrated MSc-PhD Program, apply now
TIFR GS 2024 – Tata Institute of Fundamental Research invites applications for admissions to TIFR Deemed University, stationed at TCIS Hyderabad for PhD and Integrated M.Sc.-PhD Degree Programs under the Subject Board of Physics for the academic Session 2024 (January) through entrance test (TIRF GS) 2024. The Tata Institute of Fundamental Research is India’s premier institution for advanced research in fundamental sciences. The Institute runs a graduate program leading to the award of PhD, Integrated MSc-PhD as well as MSc degree in certain subjects. Check out the post below for more details.
TIFR GS 2024
- Mathematics: PhD and Integrated M.Sc.-PhD Programs
- Physics: PhD and Integrated M.Sc.-PhD Programs
- Chemistry: PhD and Integrated M.Sc.-PhD Programs
- Biology: PhD, Integrated M.Sc.-PhD and M.Sc. Programs
- Computer & Systems Sciences: (including Communications Machine Learning) Ph.D. and Integrated M.Sc.-PhD Programs
- Science Education: PhD Programme
Typical Course Duration
- Ph.D. Programme: 5 Years
- Integrated M.Sc.-Ph.D. Programme: 6 Years
- M.Sc.Programme: See details in respective programme.
- Online Application Portal Opens: 03rd October 2023
- Application Deadline: 02nd November 2023
- Hall Ticket Download begins: 20th November 2023
- Date of Examination: 10th December 2023 (Sunday)
- Physics, Chemistry & Computer Science & Learning, Information and Data Sciences, and MSc (Wildlife Biology & Conservation): 09:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Biology (JGEEBILS): 02:30 p.m. to 05:00 p.m. Mathematics & Science Education: 02:30 p.m. to 05:30 p.m.
- Program Start Date: 01st August 2024
TIFR GS 2024 Eligibility Criteria
- Candidates in the final year of their qualifying degree can also apply.
- For Ph.D. : M.A./M.Sc./M.Math./M.Stat./M.E./M.Tech.
- For I-Ph.D. : B.A./B.Sc./B.Math./B.Stat./B.E./B.Tech. (Students already having/completing a Master’s degree by January 2024 are not eligible for I-Ph.D.).
- For Ph.D.: M.Sc./M.S. in Physics, or equivalent degree, on completion of programmes(s) of duration not less than 5 years in total.
- For I-Ph.D.: M.E./M.Tech./B.Sc./B.S./B.E./B.Tech./ B.Chem. in Physics, Engineering Physics, or equivalent degree, on completion of programme(s) of duration not less than 3 years in total. Any other degree in Science / Engineering / Medicine, or equivalent, on completion of programme(s) of duration not less than 3 years in total.
- For Ph.D.: M.Sc./B.E./B.Tech./M.Pharm. or equivalent degree.
- For I-Ph.D.: B.Sc./B.Pharm./B.S. degree or equivalent degree.
- Candidates with B.E./B.Tech. degrees, enrolled in the Ph.D. programme can optionally get an M.Sc. degree by fulfilling additional requirements.
- Candidates will be shortlisted for interview based on written test marks, CV, letters of recommendation and Scientific write-up.
- For Ph.D.: Masters in Basic Science (M.Sc. Physics/ Chemistry/ Mathematics/ any branch of Biology) or any professional Master’s Degree (M.Pharma./M.Tech.), or a > 4 year degree program (e.g. MBBS, BDS). Students holding an M.Sc. degree in a non-Biology-allied discipline such as Chemistry / Physics / Mathematics / Computer Science, and who wish to obtain an M.Sc. in Biology, will be offered the option of enrolling in the I-Ph.D. programme at the time of joining.
- For I-Ph.D./M.Sc.: Bachelors in any Basic Science (Physics/ Chemistry/Mathematics/any branch of Biology) OR any 4-year degree programme that awards a “Bachelor’s degree” including B.Tech., B.E., B.V.Sc., B.Pharma. (4 year course).
- For M.Sc. (Wildlife Biology & Conservation): Indian nationals who have a Bachelor’s degree in any discipline (with a minimum of 50% in core subjects) and a strong interest in wildlife research and conservation. Graduate nationals from Central, South and Southeast Asian countries, with similar qualifications are also eligible to apply.
Computer & Systems Sciences (including Communications and Machine Learning):
- For Ph.D. : B.Tech./B.E./B.Sc.(4-year degree)/M.Tech./M.E./M.C.A./M.Sc. or equivalent degree in Computer Science / Electronics & Communications Engineering / Electrical Engineering or related branches. Exceptionally well qualified students with a B.Tech./ B.E./B.Sc. (4-year degree)/M.Tech./M.E./M.Sc. degree in other disciplines may also be considered. Candidates not holding a master’s degree can obtain an M.Sc. degree by fulfilling the prescribed requirements during their Ph.D. programme.
- For I-Ph.D. : B.Sc. (3-year degree) or any other 3-year degree in Computer Science / Electronics & Communications Engineering / Electrical Engineering or related branches. Exceptionally well-qualified students with a 3-year undergraduate degree (B.Sc.) in related subjects may be considered for the I-Ph.D. programme. Candidates in the I-Ph.D. programme will need to fulfill the requirements for both an M.Sc. and Ph.D.; upon successful completion, they will receive both degrees.
TIFR GS 2024 Application Process
- Eligible candidates can apply online mode only through University website
- Please follow the appropriate link on this website for filling up the application form. Read the instructions carefully before you start filling up the online application form.
- Students may take the online test in multiple subjects provided the timings do not clash. Please submit separate application/fees for each subject.
- Application Fee can be paid only through online mode.
Application Fee (Non-Refundable)
- Male Candidates: Rs.1000/-
- Female Candidates: Rs.500/-
- Others: Rs.500/-
- Application fee can only be paid ONLINE through Internet Banking/Debit Card/Credit Card/UPI or other modes as available on our payment gateway
- For Ph.D. and I-Ph.D. programmes, the academic year starts from August 1, every year. The academic year for M.Sc. program begins from July 1, every year.
- Ph.D. Students receive a monthly fellowship of Rs 31,000/- (+ hostel accommodation OR HRA as applicable) enhanced to Rs 35,000/- after registration.
- I-Ph.D. Students receive a monthly fellowship of Rs 21,000/- (+ hostel accommodation OR HRA as applicable) for the first year. At the end of the first year, upon satisfactory performance, the fellowship is enhanced to Rs 31,000/- per month (further raised to Rs 35,000/- after registration for Ph.D.).
- M.Sc. (Biology) Students receive a monthly fellowship of Rs 16,000/- (+HRA as applicable).
- M.Sc. (Wildlife Biology & Conservation) Students receive a monthly fellowship of Rs 12,000/- (fixed).
- The admissions procedure (in all subjects, except Science Education) consists of an online test at one of the several nationwide centres, followed by interviews and/or a second written test of shortlisted candidates depending on the subject/programme.
- Shortlisted candidates will be called for interviews to be held during March-May 2024. Exact dates would be announced later.
- Results of the entrance examination will be announced by end-January, 2024 and students shortlisted for interview will be intimated by email.
- Examination Date : Sunday, December 10, 2023
- Morning Session: 09:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. (Physics, Chemistry, Computer & Systems Sciences, Biology (Wildlife & Conservation)
- Afternoon Session: Biology: 02:30 p.m. to 04:30 p.m.
- Mathematics: 02:30 p.m. to 05:30 p.m.
- PhD – Students receive a monthly fellowship of Rs 31,000 (+ hostel accommodation OR HRA as applicable) enhanced to Rs 35,000 after registration.
- I-PhD – Students receive a monthly fellowship of Rs 21,000 for the first year. At the end of the first year, upon satisfactory performance, the fellowship is enhanced to Rs 31,000 per month (further raised to Rs 35,000 after registration for PhD). If a student takes the MSc exit option, then the fellowship for the 3rd year is reduced to the 1st year amount.
- There will be exam centres in the following cities. Exact location / venue of the exam Centre will be made available on the hall ticket :
For more information and to apply online, visit the university website