The surya grahan or solar eclipse holds an important scientific and cultural significance that is hard to miss, especially in Indian culture. Two solar eclipses will take place in 2024, the first on April 08, and the second on October 02, stay tuned to get detailed information.
Surya Grahan 2024 in India Date and Time
This year we have two solar eclipse occurrences and they will not be visible in India. Let’s discuss their dates & times and other details:
First Surya Garhan:
- According to experts, the first Surya Grahan will occur on 8 April during Chaitra month, which will be a full solar eclipse. According to our ancient texts, the full solar eclipse is one of the most special astronomical events and holds much religious importance in our culture.
- Scientifically, this occurrence is rare and comes after 18 months (approximately), hence, it will be a sight to see as the moon comes between the sun and earth to make a full solar eclipse.
- The first solar eclipse will begin at 9:12 PM and it will end at 1:25 AM on 8th April. Concluding for 4 hours and 39 minutes Surya Garhan on April 8.
- The first solar eclipse will not be visible in India, hence the Sutak period will not apply to people living in India. So, do not worry about the rituals that we follow in the Sutak period.
- Valentine Week List 2024
- Paris Fashion Weeks
- Oscars Date 2024
Second Surya Grahan:
- The second Surya Garhan of 2024 is most likely to take place on 2nd October. It will be an annular solar eclipse meaning the moon will not fully cover the sun when it passes between the sun and the earth, it will look like a bright golden ring with a blackened inside as the outer edge of the sun will be visible.
- The second solar eclipse will begin on the night of 2 October at 9:13 PM and it will stay till the 3:17 AM of the 3 October 2024. Hence, taking almost 6 hours and 4 minutes of solar eclipse.
- Again this astronomical event will not be visible from India.
|First Surya Garhan
|8 April, 2024
|21:12 PM – 2:22 AM
|Second Surya Garhan
|2 October, 2024
|21:13 PM – 3:17 PM
Where will the total Solar eclipse be visible?
Since the total solar eclipse will not be visible from India, let’s see the places from where it will be visible:
- The total eclipse will be seen mostly in US cities, it will be seen from East Asia, Australia, South-West Europe, North & South America, and the north & south poles.
- The eclipse will begin over the Pacific Ocean and then it will be seen from North America. It will cover the Pacific coast of Mexico around 11:07 AM PDT and then, it will move northeastward. It will be seen from Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Kentucky, Ohio, New York, New Hampshire, and some parts of Canada.
The story behind the Solar Eclipse
The solar eclipse is related to Rahu and Ketu, the planets which was once a demon named Swarbhanu who became immortal by drinking the nectar from the Samudra-Manthan that happens between gods and demons.
During solar eclipse, it is said that when the sun is under the influence of these planets Rahu & Ketu, a solar eclipse occurs in astronomical space.
Common Practice in India during Surya Garhan
Though this year, there will be no Sutak period for people living in India, but still let’s see what are the common practices in India during Surya Garhan:
- Avoid eating food and drinks during the Surya Garhan though fruits are allowed.
- Keep tulsi leaves in the food items to protect them from the sutak period and use them afterward.
- Do not apply oil to hairs or on a body.
- Don’t worship gods.
- Women who are pregnant should not come outside or under the cosmic rays of this period.
These are some common practices that Inidans follow during the Surya Garhan to avoid ill fate. Though science doesn’t agree with these, in Indian culture it follows from the ancient period. So, if you are living outside India or in places where the solar eclipse will be visible, then you can follow your culture.