Study MBBS in Germany: Studying undergraduate MBBS degree in India is expensive and students have to score high in the NEET exam. This is the reason for many students prefer to complete MBBS abroad. Germany has become one of the popular countries for medical education for Indian students because of its low-cost education system.
Every year many international students are willing to seek admission to the MBBS course in German universities as they provide high quality education and engaging study atmosphere.
There are many German universities that even offer PG education along with MBBS. The MBBS course will be completed in 6 years along with an internship program and the minimum tuition fee is 5 lakhs per annum. Get to know all other details about study MBBS in Germany in the following sections.
Highlights of Studying MBBS in Germany
|Is the NEET Exam Required?||Yes|
|Is the IELTS and TOEFL Needed?||Yes|
|Course Duration||5 + 1 Year (1 year internship)|
|Basic Eligibility||12th class with 60% in PCB|
|Last Date to Apply||March 2023|
|Minimum Course Fees||5 lakhs per year|
|Maximum Course Fees||11 lakhs per year|
|Cost of living in Germany||15,000 to 20,000 per year|
|Medium of Education||English and German|
|Recognition of Universities||MCI & WHO accredited|
Study MBBS Course in Germany
Here we provide what is MBBS degree in Germany. At German universities, a medical degree is of 6 years 3 months duration, which is equivalent to undergraduate and graduate studies in India. It includes 2 years of pre-clinical studies, 3 years of clinical studies and 1 year of practical studies.
MBBS Course Curriculum
In Germany, the MBBS course contains 4 stages. They are as follows:
Stage 1: Pre-clinical section
It is the starting stage of the MBBS course in Germany. Students are introduced to the course with theoretical explanation and it lasts for 2 years. You are given ideas on the basics of human anatomy, major concepts underlying further studies, and important approaches in the field as a whole.
At the end of this stage, your knowledge is tested by conducting an exam called the Examination for Physicians.
Stage 2: Clinical stage
The next stage is a clinical stage and it lasts for 3 years. It is the important stage of the whole course. Here students are taught key aspects of the subject and take part in practical training also. Finally, all of them are tested again through the second exam.
Stage 3: Practical Year
It is the final stage of the learning process in the course and it last for 18 months. Students after clearing all the exams, enter the hospital and apply their knowledge practically.
Stage 4: State Examination and Approbation
Students take the State Examination to test the theoretical and practical knowledge they have learned. It proves your legitimacy as a doctor. Upon a successful attempt, you will be issued the license to practice, also called Approbation.
MBBS Course Duration in Germany
The total MBBS in Germany course duration is 6 years and 3 months. However, international students who may be not good at the German language have to do a language preparatory course that lasts for 1 year. This precedes the actual MBBS course and it is mandatory for all international students. Then, the entire course duration becomes 7 years and 3 months.
The different German universities have different deadlines. However, most colleges accept applications for the winter semester. So, April to August is the best time for admissions in medicine for international students.
Why Study MBBS in Germany?
The following are the benefits of studying MBBS in Germany.
- The cost of education and the cost of living in Germany is very low for international students.
- MBBS in Germany offers the best economical study options in famous medical colleges for international students.
- The hospital facilities are available inside the campus.
- The medical colleges and courses offered by German universities are accredited all over the world.
- The medical technology equipment and facilities in Germany are very good.
- The students from Germany can move to anywhere in European countries as it is in Europe.
- From the second year of the MBBS course, the students are allowed to do part-time work and it will help in managing living expenses.
- Students can live permanently in Germany after working here for 3 years.
- After completing the MBBS course, the students can work easily in any part of the world.
- Students can earn at least 50,000 Euros after completing the course.
Eligibility Criteria for Studying MBBS in Germany
Indian students have to fulfil the following eligibility conditions to pursue MBBS in Germany.
- Students must have passed the 12th class from the PCB stream with more than 60% marks.
- Their age should be 17 years or more.
- TOEFL and IELTS score is mandatory.
- Students have to score qualifying marks in the TestDaf test.
- It is mandatory to pass DSH or their German language test at the C1 level.
- If the student is taking the preparatory course, then a B1 German Certificate is needed.
- Students have to clear the NEET exam with the minimum score allowed.
MBBS in Germany Admission Process
The detailed admission process to get admission into top medical colleges in Germany is here:
- Fill out the application form for multiple medical colleges from which you want to do an MBBS.
- Upload the needed documents.
- Wait for the confirmation sent from an institution shortlisting your application form.
- Save the offer letter.
- Pay the university enrolment fees.
- Start the VISA process.
- Get all your documents checked, validated, and authenticated prior to your VISA application.
- Visit the German Embassy after receiving the invitation letter.
- Get the visa and book the flight ticket.
Needed Documents to Study MBBS in Germany
These are the required documents to take during the admission process.
- Passport with at least 18 months validity
- 10th, 12th mark sheet
- All the documents need to be attested by a Gazetted Officer
- Birth certificate
- 10 passport-size photos
- German and English language proficiency proof
- Visa Fees
- Bank – Receipt of University first-year tuition fee
- Medical NEET passing documents
- Offer letter of the desired Medical University of Germany
- Legalization of all the documents from the German Embassy
Top Medical Universities in Germany
- University of Göttingen
- Free University of Berlin
- Leipzig University
- Würzburg University
- RWTH Aachen University
- Technical University of Munich
- Tübingen University
- Goethe University Frankfurt
- Dresden University of Technology
- University of Duisburg-Essen
- Magdeburg University
- University of Bonn
- Witten/Hercke University
- University of Erlangen-Nuremberg
- Heidelberg University
- Freiburg University
- Lübeck University
- University of Hamburg
Pros of Doing MBBS from Germany
These are the advantages of doing MBBS in Germany.
- There are no capitation fees.
- The mode of teaching is English.
- Medical colleges are accredited by WHO and NMC.
- There are no donation fees during the time of admission.
- The cost of living is low and affordable.
- The fee structure of tuition fee and the admission fee is minimal.
- There are highly equipped hospitals in every university.
- The degree that German universities provide is universally renowned and popular.
- Hostels and other accommodation facilities are provided.
- It gives an opportunity for students to do part-time jobs and earn while studying the course.
- It provides practical training for medical students in government hospitals.
Cons of Studying MBBS in Germany
The disadvantages of studying Medical Degree in Germany are here.
- Students face problems speaking their local language German.
- Every student has to attend extra classes in the German language.
- The VISA process is too tough. It might take months to complete the formalities.
- The different climate is irritating for students.
- The students who want to work and study together face many problems. They require most of the time to do self-study and concentration.
MBBS Germany Syllabus
The German universities offer the best quality medical education. There are different subjects covered during the medical course duration. They are
1st and 2nd Year of Medicine
- Grass anatomy
- Cellular and molecular biology.
- Medical mathematics
- Foreign language
- Summer practical 30 hours/ week 2 weeks
3rd and 4th Year of Medicine
- Anatomy – Pathology
- Medical semiology
- General immunology
- Clinical immunology
- Surgical semiology
- Sanogenesis education
- Summer practical 30 hours/week 2 weeks
5th and 6th Year of Medicine
- Internal medicine
- Infantile surgery and orthopaedics
- Endocrinology E.N.T.
- Clinical Genetics
- Summer practical 30 hours/week 2 weeks
- Biomedical equipment
- Modern method for morphophysiological exploration
- Tropical diseases and hygiene
- Ethics, deontology, and legal medicine
- Molecular pathology
Cost of Studying MBBS in Germany
Here students can know how much it costs to study MBBS in Germany.
- Most of the public German universities have no tuition fees except for the state of Baden-Wuttemberg. For the public universities in Baden-Wurttemberg, the average tuition fee is 1500 EUR per semester.
- Apart from the tuition fees, the universities take semester fees of around 300 to 500 EUR per semester in all public universities for MBBS courses.
- In private universities, the tuition fee can range from 1000 to 10,000 EUR per semester along with the semester and application fees.
- Along with these fees, students have to get ready to bear the cost of living in Germany. Students who can’t afford can apply for scholarships in Germany and funding to reach their dream.
Scholarship Programs in Germany for Medical Students
The colleges in Germany provide scholarships to international students. Students have to take a test to get this scholarship. The MCQ test is conducted for 360 marks based on the 12th board exam syllabus. Students who score 50% marks in the test will get a 50% discount on coaching.
Popular Scholarship Programs in Germany:
- DAAD Scholarship Programs
- Deutschland Stipendium National Scholarship Programme
- Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung Scholarships in Germany for International Students
- Erasmus Scholarship Programs in Germany
- Heinrich Böll Foundation Scholarships in Germany
- The Friedrich Ebert Stiftung Scholarship
Career After MBBS in Germany
Students after successfully completing MBBS course in Germany can get job with high salary packages or even pursue higher studies. A medical degree in Germany guarantees you both a high salary and high employability.
Like any other industry, the salary of a medical professional depends on their position and experience. In Germany, the average salary for a specialist is 80,000 euros per year. The highest-paid doctors also include physicians.
FAQs on Study MBBS in Germany
- Is Germany MBBS valid in India?
Yes, Germany MBBS is valid in India as few colleges are approved by MCI.
- Can I study in Germany without NEET?
No, it is mandatory to qualify for the NEET exam to study in Germany.
- Is MBBS education free in Germany?
Yes, MBBS education is partially free in Germany as few public universities offer full scholarships. But students have to pay the living expenses.
- Is it compulsory to know the German language to study MBBS in Germany?
No, it is not compulsory to know the German language to study MBBS in Germany. Top medical universities choose the language is English only.
Finally, study MBBS in Germany is the best option for Indian students to complete their MBBS course at lower fees. The colleges offer quality education in English as well as German language. Get the complete details about doing an MBBS from Germany and apply to the colleges. Stay tuned to know more related Disadvantages of studying MBBS in Germany and Study MBBS in Philippines.