Rhodes Scholarship 2023-2024: The CECIL Rhodes Scholarship program is the oldest (established 1903) international scholarship program in the world, and one of the most prestigious. Administered by the Rhodes Trust in Oxford, the program offers 100 fully-funded Scholarships each year for postgraduate study at the University of Oxford in the United Kingdom – one of the world’s leading universities.
Rhodes Scholarships are for young leaders of outstanding intellect and character who are motivated to engage with global challenges, committed to the service of others and show promise of becoming value-driven, principled leaders for the world’s future. Read on to find more about Rhodes scholarship winners India, Rhodes Scholarship for PhD. The broad selection criteria are:
- Academic excellence – specific academic requirements can be found under the ‘Eligibility Criteria’ below.
- Energy to use the candidate’s talents to the full (as demonstrated by mastery in areas such as sports, music, debate, dance, theatre, and artistic pursuits, including where teamwork is involved).
- Truth, courage, devotion to duty, sympathy for and protection of the weak, kindliness, unselfishness and fellowship.
- The moral force of character and instincts to lead, and to take an interest in candidate’s fellow human beings.
Rhodes Scholarship Overview
Having an existence of over 100 years, the Rhodes scholarship is given to students across 22 designated constituencies out of which India is a prominent name. The Rhodes Scholarship India 2024 is applicable for students having Indian citizenship or a valid Indian passport. The students who have a PIO or OCI card are not eligible to apply for the scholarship. Adding to this, the table below highlights a detailed overview of the scholarship thereby making the candidate aware of all its relevant details.
Rhodes Scholarship Eligibility India
In order to become a Rhodes scholar, an applicant should possess qualities like outstanding intellect, leadership, commitment to service and character. Besides these qualities, the key eligibility criterion for the scholarship include:
- Nationality/citizenship: candidate should be a citizen of India, holding an Indian passport, or equivalent proof of citizenship; PIO or OCI cardholders do not satisfy the Indian citizenship criteria for this purpose.
- Education/residency: candidate should have undertaken formal study at an educational institution in India for a minimum of 4 of the last 10 years, and have either
- completed a school-leaving exam (10th or 12th standard or equivalent) at a school in India, or
- have received, or be in the final year of, an undergraduate degree at a university in India.
- Rhodes Scholarship Age Limit: candidate should have reached candidate’s 19th and not have passed the candidate’s 27th birthday on 1 October 2023, which means the candidate should have been born after 1 October 1996 and on or before 1 October 2001. Or You must be aged 18-23 on 1st October 2023 (i.e. you must have been born after 1 October 1999 and before 2 October 2005).
Note: For medical students and medical doctors who are pursuing, or who have completed, their one-year internship (CRRI), the age limit is extended by one year; in these cases, the candidate should have been born after 30 September 1994 and on or before 1 October 2001.
- Academic achievement: candidate should have completed (or shall have completed by July 2024) candidate’s undergraduate degree with First Class, or equivalent. Successful candidates typically feature within the top few ranks of their graduating classes. Note: only one of the five available Scholarships (and, in exceptional cases, two) may be awarded in the aggregate to
- candidates who are pursuing, or have pursued, their undergraduate studies outside India and
- inter-jurisdictional Candidates.
- Note: You can check on this for more: Information for Candidates – India – Rhodes Trust
Rhodes Scholarship Applicable Courses
Find below the information of degree courses or degree combinations which are permissible for students to obtain the Rhodes scholarship
- A BA program with senior status, i.e., done over two years
- A one-year taught Master’s course like BCL, MSt or MSc which is followed by another one-year taught Master’s course in the second year
- A one-year taught Master’s course like BCL, MSt or MSc which may progress to D.Phil. In this combination, the students can apply for the scholarship for the third year. (Note: This movement is not applicable for students in Physical & Life Sciences and Maths division).
- A two-year BPhil or MPhil or BCL program that progresses to DPhil. In this scenario too, the students can apply for the third year of the scholarship.
- A two-year MLitt or MSc by research. (Note: No scholarship shall be given for the third year in this scenario).
- A three-year DPhil program.
Rhodes Scholarship Application Procedure
- Candidate can apply online from July 2023 at via the scholarships tab.
- candidate should submit a candidate’s application online, with all supporting documents, by 23:59 India Standard Time, 3rd October 2023.
- In preparation for making candidate’s application, the candidate should read carefully the general information, particularly that held on the Scholarships tab, on the Rhodes website, the Conditions of Tenure for the Rhodes Scholarship, the information in this document and the graduate admissions pages of the University of Oxford: www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduate.
- If a candidate is a longlisted candidate shall be invited to attend a preliminary, personal interview in New Delhi. If the candidate is not ordinarily residents in India candidates may be interviewed preliminarily by video conference or telephone.
- Shortlisted candidates shall be invited to social engagement (a dinner with the selection committee hosted by the Chairman) and a final interview. candidate should be available to attend both, in person, as no accommodations can be made on date and time, or mode, of these events. Interviews shall be held in New Delhi in October or November 2023. No candidate shall be selected without an interview. The granting of an interview is entirely within the discretion of the Selection Committee. A domestic travel allowance for candidates invited for the final interview shall be paid by the Rhodes Trust. International travel shall not be reimbursed.
- All applicants shall be emailed with the outcome of their application.
Documents Required for Rhodes Scholarship
- Candidate’s birth certificate or valid passport confirming that the candidate meets the age criterion.
- A valid passport confirming that the candidate meets the citizenship criteria. candidate should be a citizen of India, holding an Indian passport, or equivalent proof of citizenship.
- An official transcript from the college or university at which candidate is studying, or have studied, showing grades achieved (to date).
- Official transcripts from candidate’s 10th and 12th standard (or equivalent) school-leaving board examinations.
- If a candidate is neither a graduate of a university in India nor in the final year of undergraduate study at a university in India, the candidate should provide evidence of formal study at an educational institution in India for at least 4 of the last 10 years as of the date of application and completion of a school-leaving exam at a school in India (either 10th or 12th standard or equivalent).
- If English is not a candidate’s first language, please also see the University’s English language requirements:
- A full curriculum vitae which should comprise information about academic qualifications, prizes, scholarships, positions of leadership, employment positions, involvement in student, voluntary, community or political activities and any cultural, musical or sporting accomplishments. This should not exceed two A4 pages in length. Please do not comprise a photograph in a candidate’s CV.
- A head-and-shoulders color photograph (jpg format).
- A personal statement of no more than 1,000 words. The personal statement is the candidate’s chance to tell the candidate’s story in the candidate’s own voice: Who are you? What matters to you? What is the candidate hoping to do in the world? candidate’s academic transcript, candidate’s curriculum vitae, and candidate’s reference letters shall provide the substantive detail of the candidate’s commitments and accomplishments, but this essay gives the candidate the opportunity to cast the overarching narrative for the selection committee.
Rhodes Scholarship Selection Procedure
- Selection for the Rhodes Scholarship is made without regard to financial means.
- Selection for the Rhodes Scholarship is made without regard to marital status, race, ethnic origin, color, gender, religion, sexual orientation, social background, disability, caste or other irrelevant distinction. The provision of such information in the ‘Outreach’ section of the application form is optional, but helps us to ensure that our selection processes are fair and that our outreach efforts are effective; those involved in selection shall only see summary statistics of these responses in an anonymized format that cannot be tracked back to the individual.
- the candidate is applying for a Rhodes Scholarship for entry to the University of Oxford in October 2023; the scholarship cannot be deferred.
- The Rhodes Scholarship is confirmed only upon successful admission to the University of Oxford.
- No selection shall be made if a sufficiently qualified candidate cannot be found.
- The decision of the Selection Committee is final.
Rhodes Scholarship Contact Number
Mr. Nandan Kamath
National Secretary of India
Email ID: [email protected]
Rhodes Scholarship Winners List
|Name of the Scholar Name||Year of Scholarship|
FAQ’s On Rhodes Scholarship
How many Rhodes scholars are selected each year from India?
Each year, five Indian Scholars are selected on the basis of their intellect, character, leadership, and commitment to service, to join Rhodes Scholars from around the world at the University of Oxford, the press release adds.
How much is the Rhodes Scholarship worth?
A Rhodes Scholarship covers All University and College fees; the University application fee; a living stipend (£15,144 per annum 2023-24); one economy class airfare to Oxford at the start of the scholarship and one economy flight back to the student’s home country at the conclusion of the scholarship.
What is the age limit for Rhodes scholarship?
At the time of application, an applicant should be at least 18 but not yet 24 years of age (i.e., the applicant should still be 23 on October 1 in the year of application).
What is the Rhodes scholarship cover?
The Rhodes Scholarship covers Oxford University (and College) fees as well as providing an annual stipend.
Students can also find more Scholarship Articles for 12th passed, 10th passed Students and many more.