English Grammar – Pronouns Exercises with Answers
Exercises on Pronouns – Pronouns are naming words which are used in place of nouns. These substitute short words help us prevent repeated use of the noun word. It is very essential to use pronouns in our communication otherwise our language will become very irritating and unpleasant. In this post on exercises on pronouns, we have covered different types of questions. This will enable the students to understand pronouns, use the correct pronouns and also, make better communication with the help of pronouns.
What is a Pronoun?
Pronouns are essential parts of language that act as noun replacements, allowing for concise and clear communication. When used in place of certain names or nouns, these adaptable words improve sentence flow. Pronouns—which include demonstrative, indefinite, reflexive, personal, possessive, and relative—are essential to the construction of coherent and understandable language.
Personal pronouns can refer to specific people or groups and can be distinguished based on gender, number, and case. Relative pronouns offer context, possessive pronouns indicate ownership, and reflexive pronouns highlight self-action. Interrogative pronouns ask inquiries, but demonstrative pronouns make entities in time or space clear. Undefined individuals or amounts are denoted with indefinite pronouns. Pronouns must be understood and used correctly in order to ensure clarity and prevent repetition in communication.
Functions of Pronouns
Pronouns perform a number of crucial linguistic tasks that improve communication’s coherence, conciseness, and clarity. The following are thorough descriptions of the principal purposes of pronouns:
- Replacement for Nouns: In sentences, pronouns take the place of nouns. Pronouns simplify language by taking the place of specific names or nouns that are used repeatedly. For instance, the pronoun “he” takes the place of the noun “John” in the sentence “John went to the store, and he bought some groceries.”
- Avoiding Repetition: Pronouns make sentences more accessible and interesting by preventing the boring repetition of nouns. Sentences would get clumsy and less effective without pronouns. Using pronouns, for example, makes the sentence “Mary called Mary’s friend, and Mary invited Mary’s friend to a party” more natural: “Mary called her friend, and she invited her to a party.”
- Displaying Possession: Possessive pronouns serve to express ownership as well as the relationships that exist between people and things. When we say, for instance, “The book is mine,” the possessive pronoun “mine” takes the place of having to name the owner directly.
- Stressing Reflexivity: The activity of the subject directed back towards itself is highlighted by reflexive pronouns. This strengthens the sentence’s clarity or emphasis. For example, “She washed herself” highlights that she did it on her own body.
- Pointing to Particular Entities: In time or space, demonstrative pronouns point to particular entities. They aid in making it clear to what specific object or idea is being discussed. For example, the demonstrative pronoun “this” is used to identify a specific book in the sentence “This is my favorite book”.
- Asking Questions: To formulate questions, interrogative pronouns are necessary. They assist in gathering data regarding individuals, things, or ideas. For instance, the interrogative pronoun “who” starts the question “Who is coming to the party?”
- Bringing Generalization: Indefinite pronouns give a feeling of generality by referring to unknown people or numbers. They aid in avoiding the requirement for exact details. In the sentence “Someone called,” for example, the indefinite pronoun “someone” does not identify a specific individual.
Types of Pronouns
- Personal Pronouns
Depending on gender, number, and case, personal pronouns designate particular people or groups.For instance: I, you, he, she, and it are singular. We, you, and they are plural.
- Possessive Pronouns
Possessive pronouns indicate ownership or possession, eliminating the need to explicitly mention the noun.For Example, mine, yours, his, hers, its are singular whereas, ours, yours, theirs are plural.
- Reflexive Pronouns
Reflexive pronouns, which frequently denote self-action or reflection, highlight that the subject and object of a phrase are the same thing.For instance: I, you, him, her, and itself are all singular and oneself, oneself, oneself are all plural.
- Relative Pronouns
Relative pronouns give more context for a noun in a phrase by introducing relative clauses. Examples are: that, which, whose, whom, and who
- Demonstrative Pronouns
Demonstrative pronouns serve to make it clear which entity is being discussed by pointing to particular ones in space or time. Examples: Singular: this, that Plural: these, those
- Interrogative Pronouns
Interrogative pronouns are used to ask questions and gather information about people, objects, or concepts. For instance, who, whom, whose, which, and what
- Indefinite Pronouns
Unspecified people or quantities are denoted with indefinite pronouns, which give a statement a broad, frequently comprehensive connotation.
Examples: Singular: anyone, someone, no one, everybody, nobody; Plural: all, some, none, few, several
Exercise Set 1: Identify the pronouns
- Identify the possessive pronouns in the following sentences:-
- Sarah lost her keys in the park yesterday.
- The children completed their homework before dinner.
- The cat washes its paws after playing in the mud.
- John and Mary bought a new house; theirs is near the river.
- The book on the shelf is mine; I left it there earlier.
- The students handed in their projects to the teacher.
- The company celebrated its 25th anniversary with a grand event.
- Is this laptop yours, or did you borrow it from someone?
- The dog wagged its tail happily when the owner returned home.
- Those shoes are hers; she left them by the door.
- The team is proud of its achievements in the recent competition.
- My car is in the shop, so I’m borrowing my sister’s for the day.
- I took my pet to a dog show.
- His notes were more extensive than hers.
- I saw that her pet was smaller than their cat.
- Someone asked, ‘Is that little puppy yours?’
- I replied, ‘Yes, he’s mine.’
18.Your taking the prize was a nice surprise.
- The children make their beds without my asking them to.
- Their singing inspired us.
- That dog down the street is his.
- I appreciate your understanding of the matter.
- Bobby is a brother of mine.
- The cake Diana baked last week is not as good as yours.
- The flowers Vanessa brought were better than hers.
- Fill in the blanks with the appropriate personal pronouns:
- ____________ went to the store to buy some groceries.
- I asked ____________ to help me with my homework.
- Sarah and ____________ are going to the movies tonight.
- The cat is sleeping on ____________ bed.
- We decided to take a road trip, so ____________ packed our bags.
- Can you pass the salt to ____________ at the end of the table?
- Jake and ____________ are planning a surprise party for their friend.
- ____________ just called to say that ____________ will be late for the meeting.
- The teacher praised ____________ for completing the assignment on time.
- The kids are playing in the park, and ____________ are having a great time.
- She gave ____________ a beautiful gift for ____________ birthday.
- ____________ need to finish the project before the deadline.
- The team congratulated ____________ on ____________ excellent performance.
- Murat is a good boy. __ always listens to__ teacher.
- Amit and Sumit are twin brothers. ___ take the same bag to school.
- Milly and I are very good friends. ___ have known each other since childhood.
- The mangoes are very sour. Where did you buy ___?
- I love watching Tom and Jerry. __ reminds me of my childhood days.
- I bought this book for my sister. __ often read it together.
- This is Steve. Do you know __?
- There are many windows here. But all of ___ are jammed.
- __ was asked to replace the weights on the stand.
- My aunt and uncle live in Delhi. ___ often visit ___.
- Did they inform____about the reopening?.
- Firoz, Jenny and ___ went to watch a movie last night.
- He/She, he/she
- her, her
- him/her, his/her
- He, his
- We, them
Exercise Set 2: Understanding Reflexive and Relative Pronouns
1. Choose the correct option:-
1. Identify the reflexive pronoun in the sentence: “He always talks to himself when he is alone.”
2. What is the reflexive pronoun in the sentence: “The cat groomed itself by the window.”
3. Choose the correct reflexive pronoun: “Please help _____ to some snacks.”
4. Identify the reflexive pronoun in the sentence: “We enjoyed ourselves at the beach last weekend.”
5. What is the reflexive pronoun in the sentence: “Tom and Jane bought themselves a new car.”
6. Choose the correct reflexive pronoun: “You should be proud of _____ for completing the project.”
7. Identify the reflexive pronoun in the sentence: “The magician amazed the audience by making himself disappear.”
8. What is the reflexive pronoun in the sentence: “She caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror.”
9. Choose the correct reflexive pronoun: “I bought a gift for _____ on Valentine’s Day.”
10. Identify the reflexive pronoun in the sentence: “The hiker lost himself in the dense forest.”
11. What is the reflexive pronoun in the sentence: “The children dressed themselves in colorful costumes for the play.”
12. Choose the correct reflexive pronoun: “She promised to behave _____ during the important meeting.”
13. Identify the reflexive pronoun in the sentence: “They congratulated themselves on a successful event.”
14. I’ve started my own business because I like to work for …
15. People should surround … with friends and family during hard times.
16. The little girl cried when she saw … in the mirror.
17. All of you were great! You should be proud of …
18. At the beginning of the interview, they asked me to introduce …
19. The teacher asked the children to draw a picture of …
20. I hope you enjoy … at the party tonight!
21. He looked pale! I told him to take care of …
22. The cat hurt … when it was chasing the mouse.
23. We were pleased with … for finishing the project before the deadline.
24. Nancy and Emily cleaned their room …
25. I need to pinch … to make sure that I’m not dreaming.
- c. Himself
- c. Itself
- c. Yourself
- c. Ourselves
- b. Themselves
- d. Yourself
- c. Himself
- d. Herself
- c. Myself
- c. Himself
- c. Themselves
- c. Herself
- c. Themselves
- c. Myself
- c. Themselves
- c. Herself
- c. Yourselves
- c. Myself
- c. Themselves
- c. Yourselves
- c. Himself
- c. Itself
- c. Ourselves
- c. Themselves
- b. Myself
- Combine the following sentences using a relative pronoun:
- The girl is singing. You invited her to the party.
- The car is in the garage. We borrowed it from our neighbor.
- The house is old. I used to live in it when I was a child.
- The computer is broken. I bought it last year.
- The movie is on TV. We watched it yesterday.
- The teacher is talking. Her son is in my class.
- The restaurant is famous. They serve delicious pizza.
- The dog is barking. You adopted it from the shelter.
- The flowers are in the garden. My sister planted them.
- The man is my uncle. He lives in the city.
- The job is interesting. I applied for it last week.
- The song is beautiful. We heard it on the radio.
- The book is on the shelf. I finished reading it yesterday.
- The team won the championship. They worked hard for it.
- The girl is my friend. I met her at the library.
- The mountain is very high. We climbed it last summer.
- The dress is expensive. She bought it for the special occasion.
- The city has many parks. I explored them during my visit.
- The letter is from my pen pal. I received it this morning.
- The project is challenging. We are working on it together.
- The painting is on the wall. The artist created it last year.
- The doctor is friendly. I visited him for a check-up.
- The cookies are delicious. She baked them for the party.
- The song is catchy. I heard it on the radio.
- The museum has interesting exhibits. We visited it during our trip.
- The girl whom you invited to the party is singing.
- The car that we borrowed from our neighbor is in the garage.
- The house in which I used to live when I was a child is old.
- The computer that I bought last year is broken.
- The movie that we watched yesterday is on TV.
- The teacher whose son is in my class is talking.
- The restaurant that serves delicious pizza is famous.
- The dog that you adopted from the shelter is barking.
- The flowers that my sister planted are in the garden.
- The man who lives in the city is my uncle.
- The job for which I applied last week is interesting.
- The song that we heard on the radio is beautiful.
- The book that I finished reading yesterday is on the shelf.
- The team that worked hard for it won the championship.
- The girl whom I met at the library is my friend.
- The mountain that we climbed last summer is very high.
- The dress that she bought for the special occasion is expensive.
- The city that I explored during my visit has many parks.
- The letter that I received this morning is from my pen pal.
- The project that we are working on together is challenging.
- The painting that the artist created last year is on the wall.
- The doctor whom I visited for a check-up is friendly.
- The cookies that she baked for the party are delicious.
- The song that I heard on the radio is catchy.
- The museum that we visited during our trip has interesting exhibits.
Common Challenges and Pitfalls:
- Dealing with ambiguity:
When a pronoun is used in a way that leaves the reader or listener unsure of the noun to which it is referring, an issue of ambiguity arises. Confusion and misunderstanding of the intended meaning of a sentence might result from this lack of clarity. When two or more nouns are close together and it’s unclear which one the pronoun is replacing, ambiguity usually occurs.
Take the following line as an example: “Sarah told Emily that she would visit.” It’s unclear from the context whether “she” refers to Emily or Sarah. Because the listener is unable to identify the correct meaning, the ambiguity makes it difficult to communicate effectively.
However, when corrected; “Sarah told Emily that Sarah would visit.”, the use of the proper noun “Sarah” removes the ambiguity, by clearly stating who would be visiting. By providing this clarification, the intended meaning can be understood by those reading it without any confusion.
- Errors in agreement:
Errors in pronoun-antecedent agreement occur when pronouns don’t match with the number or gender of the nouns they replace. The noun that the pronoun refers to is the antecedent. Maintaining agreement guarantees correct grammar for clear communication. In order to maintain number agreement, the pronoun should be plural if the antecedent is plural and single if the antecedent is singular. Gender agreement requires that the pronoun must align with the antecedent’s gender. For Example: There is an error in the statement “Every student is required to turn in their assignment.” “Their” refers to more than one individual, but “every student” refers to a single person (plural).
To ensure that the pronoun agrees with the singular antecedent, a preferable sentence would be “Every student is required to turn in his or her assignment”.
Exercise Set 3: Identifying Demonstrative Pronouns
- Identify the demonstrative pronouns in the give paragraphs:-
- Exploring the historic district of the city, we came across two museums. The first museum showcased artifacts from the colonial era, while the second focused on modern art. We decided to visit the one with contemporary exhibits. That museum, filled with thought-provoking installations and interactive displays, provided a unique perspective on current artistic expressions.
- During our road trip through the countryside, we encountered two charming bed and breakfasts. The first one had a rustic charm with a fireplace in each room, while the second boasted a garden filled with vibrant flowers. We opted for the bed and breakfast with the garden. That one with blooming roses and fragrant lavender created a serene and picturesque setting for our stay.
- In the bustling market, vendors were selling various handicrafts. These ranged from intricately woven textiles to hand-carved wooden sculptures. Each vendor had a story to share about their creations, but it was the one with the hand-painted ceramics that captured our interest. Those ceramics, with vibrant colors and intricate patterns, reflected the rich artistic heritage of the region.
- As we hiked through the mountain trails, we came across two viewpoints. The first one offered panoramic views of the valley below, while the second provided a closer look at a cascading waterfall. We chose the viewpoint overlooking the waterfall. That spot, with its refreshing mist and the soothing sound of rushing water, became the perfect place for a peaceful picnic.
- The university library housed an extensive collection of rare manuscripts. These manuscripts, dating back centuries, offered a glimpse into the literary heritage of different cultures. One section contained manuscripts from medieval Europe, while another showcased those from ancient Asia. The manuscripts from the latter section, with their delicate calligraphy and intricate illustrations, were especially captivating.
- During our journey through the coastal town, we discovered two seafood restaurants. The first one, known for its traditional recipes, had a rustic seaside ambiance. However, it was the restaurant with the modern decor and innovative dishes that piqued our curiosity. That restaurant, with its fusion of local flavors and global culinary influences, provided a delightful gastronomic experience.
- In the antique shop, there were two sections dedicated to vintage furniture. The first section featured Victorian-era pieces, while the second focused on mid-century modern designs. We were drawn to the section with mid-century modern furniture. Those pieces, characterized by sleek lines and minimalist aesthetics, complemented our contemporary living space perfectly.
- Exploring the nature reserve, we encountered two trails. The first trail led through dense woodlands, while the second followed the meandering path along a tranquil river. We opted for the trail along the river. That trail, with its peaceful ambiance and occasional glimpses of wildlife, provided a serene escape into nature.
- Attending the music festival, we were excited to see two headlining bands. The first band played energetic rock music, while the second specialized in experimental jazz fusion. The audience was buzzing with anticipation for the second band. That band, known for pushing the boundaries of musical genres, delivered a captivating performance that left a lasting impression on everyone present.
- The boutique featured a curated collection of designer dresses. These dresses, crafted from luxurious fabrics and adorned with intricate embellishments, showcased the latest fashion trends. Each dress had a unique appeal, but it was the one with the vintage-inspired lace details that became the center of attention. That dress, reminiscent of classic elegance, became the perfect choice for the upcoming special occasion.
- During our visit to the national park, we encountered two ecosystems. The first was a dense forest teeming with diverse flora and fauna, while the second was a vast meadow with wildflowers in full bloom. We decided to explore the meadow. That expansive space, dotted with colorful blossoms and surrounded by towering peaks, offered a breathtaking view of the natural beauty that the park had to offer.
- At the outdoor market, vendors were selling handmade crafts. These crafts, ranging from intricately woven baskets to hand-painted ceramics, reflected the cultural diversity of the region. One vendor specialized in traditional textiles, while another focused on contemporary jewelry. The jewelry from the latter vendor, with its innovative designs and use of sustainable materials, appealed to those seeking unique and eco-friendly accessories.
13.As I strolled through the bustling market, I couldn’t resist stopping at a fruit stand. The vendor recommended trying these exotic mangoes, claiming they were the sweetest in town. Unable to resist the vendor’s recommendation, I sampled one of the exotic mangoes, and the burst of sweetness instantly confirmed their title as the sweetest in town.
- At the art gallery, I was in awe at a contemporary sculpture. The artist skillfully blended various materials, creating a masterpiece that challenged conventional perceptions of art. I couldn’t help but be captivated by this innovative piece. Its unique shapes and vibrant colors made it stand out, creating a mesmerizing focal point in the gallery.
- During a hike, I encountered a secluded waterfall. The serenity of the surroundings was interrupted by the melodious chirping of birds. I decided to spend some time by that peaceful spot, appreciating the beauty of the wilderness.The cool mist from the waterfall provided a refreshing escape from the day’s warmth.
- As I explored the streets, I stumbled upon a quaint antique shop. The shelves were filled with intriguing artifacts, each holding a unique story. I ended up purchasing a vintage pocket watch, drawn to this timeless relic.The shopkeeper shared a fascinating anecdote about the watch’s history, adding to its allure.
- I attended a captivating lecture on sustainable practices. The speaker passionately discussed innovative solutions to environmental challenges. I left the event feeling inspired by those dedicated individuals working towards a greener future. The insights shared during the lecture prompted me to reflect on my own environmental impact and consider adopting more sustainable habits in my daily life.
- In the kitchen, my grandmother was busy preparing a traditional dish that had been passed down through generations. The aroma wafting from the pot reminded me of the countless family gatherings where this beloved recipe had been enjoyed.The sizzle and warmth of the kitchen created a comforting atmosphere, transporting me back to cherished moments shared around the family table.
- While attending a live performance, I was captivated by the musical talents of the orchestra. The conductor skillfully guided the musicians through a symphony that left the audience in awe. I couldn’t help but appreciate the harmony created by this talented ensemble.The crescendo of the final piece resonated in the air, leaving a lingering sense of musical enchantment in the concert hall.
- Walking through the neighborhood, I noticed a row of charming houses. One in particular caught my eye, with its unique architecture and well-maintained garden. I wondered about the stories and memories that must reside within that quaint residence.The colorful flowers in the garden gave the lovely setting a hint of enchantment by appearing to whisper stories of joy and happiness.
- During a visit to the botanical garden, I discovered a rare species of orchids. The vibrant colors and intricate patterns of these exotic flowers were unlike anything I had ever seen before.The sweet scent of the orchids wafted in on a gentle breeze, enhancing the botanical haven’s attractiveness through a sensory experience.
- Attending a photography exhibition, I was mesmerized by a series capturing the essence of street life. The raw emotions and candid moments captured in those black-and-white photographs told compelling stories of diverse cultures and experiences.Each photograph seemed to freeze a moment in time, inviting contemplation on the shared humanity woven into the fabric of the urban landscape.
- Exploring a historical site, I came across an ancient artifact displayed in a glass case. The museum curator explained the significance of this archaeological find, shedding light on a bygone era.The artifact’s intricate details hinted at the craftsmanship of a civilization long past, sparking a curiosity about the lives of those who once held it.
- In a quiet library corner, I discovered a collection of rare manuscripts. These fragile documents provided a glimpse into the literary treasures of the past, and I marveled at the preservation efforts that allowed us to access such historical texts.The sound of pages turning whispered to me like a symphony of information, tying me in with the wisdom contained in the written words.
- At a technology expo, I encountered a display showcasing the latest gadgets and innovations. A sleek and futuristic-looking smartphone caught my attention. Intrigued by this cutting-edge device, I eagerly explored its features and functionalities.The hands-on experience with the smartphone revealed its seamless interface, leaving me impressed by the advancements shaping the future of technology.
- That, Those
- These, Those
- These, That
- These, Those
- Transform the given sentences using interrogative pronouns:-
- Let’s finalize the details for our upcoming presentation.
- We should meet to discuss our project plan. How about the conference room?
- I’m thinking of meeting in the conference room. What do you think?
- The availability of the conference room depends on a few factors.
- Let’s check the schedule to see if the room is free.
- The schedule is the main thing we need to check.
- I have 3 PM in mind for our meeting.
- How about meeting at 3 PM?
- Meeting at 3 PM will give us enough time for discussions. What do you think?
- We should discuss various aspects of the project during the meeting.
- We need to make necessary revisions to the project.
- We need to bring all the relevant documents and data for the meeting.
- Let’s ensure everyone is on the same page regarding the project details before our meeting.
- The vibrant artwork adorned the walls of the art gallery, capturing the attention of every visitor.
- The cat suddenly arched its back and hissed, startled by an unseen presence.
- The explorer discovered ancient ruins in a distant land, shrouded in mystery and intrigue.
- They gracefully danced across the stage, leaving the audience in awe of their skill and elegance.
- The car sputtered and stalled on the deserted road, leaving the driver stranded.
- The detective interrogated several individuals, hoping to unravel the complexities of the puzzling case.
- The realization dawned upon her, reshaping her perspective on the challenging situation.
- A hidden path through the forest led to a secret waterfall, known only to a few adventurous souls.
- The old photograph depicted a scene, evoking memories of a bygone era and stories untold.
- The professor raised an eyebrow, intrigued by the unexpected question posed by the curious student.
- The sudden burst of applause filled the auditorium, expressing appreciation and approval.
- A melodious voice echoed through the dimly lit room, captivating everyone in attendance.
- What can we finalize for our upcoming presentation?
- Where should we meet to discuss our project plan? Which location, perhaps the conference room, would be suitable?
- I’m thinking of meeting in the conference room. Whose opinion should we consider on this matter?
- What factors determine the availability of the conference room?
- Which schedule should we check to see if the room is free?
- What is the main thing that we need to check regarding the schedule?
- What time do you have in mind for our meeting?
- How about 3 PM, which should give us enough time for discussions?
- Whom do we need to consult to ensure that meeting at 3 PM is feasible?
- What aspects of the project, which might be crucial, should we discuss during the meeting?
- Why do we need to make necessary revisions to the project? Whose input is essential for this process?
- What relevant documents and data, whose importance cannot be overstated, do we need to bring for the meeting?
- Should we ensure everyone, who is involved, is on the same page regarding the project details before our meeting?
- Whose vibrant artwork adorned the walls of the art gallery, capturing the attention of every visitor?
- Why did the cat suddenly arch its back and hiss, startled by an unseen presence?
- In which distant land did the explorer discover ancient ruins, shrouded in mystery and intrigue?
- Who gracefully danced across the stage, leaving the audience in awe of their skill and elegance?
- For what reason did the car sputter and stall on the deserted road, leaving the driver stranded?
- Whom did the detective interrogate, hoping to unravel the complexities of the puzzling case?
- At what moment did the realization dawn upon her, reshaping her perspective on the challenging situation?
- Which hidden path through the forest led to a secret waterfall, known only to a few adventurous souls?
- Whom did the old photograph depict, evoking memories of a bygone era and stories untold?
- Why did the professor raise an eyebrow, intrigued by the unexpected question posed by the curious student?
- What prompted the sudden burst of applause, filling the auditorium with appreciation and approval?
- Whose melodious voice echoed through the dimly lit room, captivating everyone in attendance?
To sum up, effective use of pronouns is essential for clear communication. Pronouns have a variety of linguistic purposes. They fall into the following categories: demonstrative, indefinite, reflexive, personal, possessive, and relative. As essential components of language, pronouns promote coherence and conciseness.The exercises on pronouns include recognizing demonstrative pronouns, completing blanks with personal pronouns, identifying reflexive and relative pronouns, and identifying possessive pronouns. These exercises improve practical application while simultaneously strengthening comprehension for the learner.
Also See :
Exercises of Tenses
Exercises on Prepositions
Exercises of Articles
Exercises of Simple Present Tense