CSIR NET Eligibility 2024 – Know Age Limit, Qualifications, Reservation
CSIR NET 2024 eligibility criteria are key prerequisites that candidates must achieve in order to be qualified for the exam. Depending on the subject and category of the candidate, these criteria may include educational credentials, age constraints, and other special requirements. Candidates must understand these criteria in order to confirm their eligibility before applying for the exam.The article provides the candidates an insight into eligibility criteria to be fulfilled in order to give the CSIR NET 2024 exam.
CSIR NET Eligibility Criteria 2024
The Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) lays down certain criteria in order for the candidate to be eligible for the CSIR NET 2024. The following is the CSIR NET 2024 Eligibility Criteria as laid down by the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research :-
Eligibility Criteria- Nationality
- The candidate should be an Indian national so as to give the CSIR NET 2024 Examination.
Eligibility Criteria – Qualification
The following is the Eligibility criteria pertaining to the educational qualifications of the candidates:-
1. General (UR) / General-EWS and OBC Candidates
They need to possess at least an M.Sc. or equivalent degree, Integrated BS-MS, BS-4 years, BE, B.Tech, B. Pharma, or MBBS with a minimum of 55% marks to be eligible for CSIR NET.
2. M.Sc. or undergraduate degree
Candidates currently pursuing an M.Sc. or undergraduate degree can also apply under the “Result Awaited (RA)” category, provided they achieve the required scores within two years.
3.SC/ST and Persons with Disability (PwD) Candidates
These candidates must have a minimum of 50% marks in M.Sc. or equivalent qualifications to be eligible.
4.Candidates with B.Sc (Hons) or Equivalent Degrees
Those with a Bachelor’s degree or currently enrolled in an Integrated MS-Ph.D. program can be eligible, provided they score a minimum of 55% marks for General candidates (50% marks for SC/ST/PWD).
5.Bachelor’s Degree Holders
Bachelor’s degree holders are eligible for the fellowship if they get registered/enrolled in a Ph.D. or Integrated Ph.D. program within two years.
Candidates who completed their Master’s degree before September 19, 1992, with a minimum of 50% marks can apply for Lectureship only.
7.Third Gender Category
Candidates belonging to the Third gender category are entitled to similar relaxations in terms of fees, age, and eligibility criteria as those provided to SC/ST categories. The subject-specific qualifying cut-offs for this category will be the lowest among SC/ST/PwD/OBC–NCL/General-EWS categories in that particular subject.
Eligibility Criteria- Age Limit
- The JRF position has an upper age limit set by the NTA. According to the CSIR UGC NET 2023 eligibility criteria (since the CSIR NET 2024 Eligibility criteria has not yet been released), the candidate for Joint Research Fellowship must be no older than 28 years old as of July 1, 2022.
- Candidates from the reserved categories, on the other hand, receive an age relaxation.
- For Lectureship and Assistant Professor positions no upper age limit has been set by the NTA.
These eligibility criteria ensure that the CSIR NET 2024 draws applicants from a variety of educational backgrounds and allows them to pursue careers in scientific research and teaching, contributing to the growth of science and technology in India.
CSIR NET: Subject-wise Eligibility
Candidates can refer to the following table for the CSIR NET 2024 Subject-wise Requirements:-
Completed degree in the Life Science Stream only
Having a BS/B.Tech/M.Sc or equivalent qualification in the chemical science field only
Having a degree in B. Pharma/BE/B.Tech//MSc integrated BS-MS/MS-4 years in Earth Science stream only
Having a degree in B. Pharma/BE/B.Sc/B.tech integrated BS-MS/MS-4 years or degree equivalent degree in Mathematics
Valid degree in M.Sc Physics or BS-MS in physics or any equivalent degree
CSIR NET Eligibility: Reservation Policy
In the CSIR NET 2024 examination, special eligibility criteria apply to candidates falling under the PwD (Persons with Disabilities) category. Here are the detailed criteria:
- Candidates with benchmark disabilities are granted a relaxation of 5 years in age eligibility. This means that candidates who are 33 years old as of January 1, 2024, are eligible to apply for CSIR NET 2024.
- Candidates who have benchmark disabilities related to upper limbs, visual impairment, cerebral palsy, or severe physical limitations have the option to use a scribe during the examination.
- Candidates with disabilities can choose to bring their own scribe or request the assistance of a scribe provided by the NTA (National Testing Agency). This preference can be indicated in the application form.
- Individuals with disabilities will receive an additional 60 minutes of exam duration, making the total exam time 3 hours and 60 minutes to accommodate their specific needs.
CSIR NET Number of Attempts
The NTA does not state any minimum or maximum number of attempts for the candidates, therefore the candidates can apply and appear for as many times they want to for the CSIR NET exam.
CSIR NET Eligibility 2024 FAQs
Q What is the age limit for CSIR NET eligibility?
Ans The age limit for CSIR NET eligibility varies based on categories. In general, candidates must be below 28 years of age as of a specified date to apply. However, certain categories, such as PwD candidates, may have age relaxations. Always refer to the official CSIR NET notification for the specific year for precise age eligibility criteria.
Q Are there any relaxations for reserved categories in CSIR NET eligibility?
Ans Yes, there is a 5 year age limit relaxation for candidates belonging to Scheduled Castes (SC), Scheduled Tribes (ST), Economically Weaker Sections (EWS), and Persons with Disabilities (PwD) and a 3 year age limit relaxation for Other Backward Classes (OBC) Non- Creamy Layer.
Q How many attempts are there in CSIR NET 2024?
Ans NTA does not specify the number of attempts for CSIR NET 2024, Candidates can apply as many times as they want.
Q What is the eligibility for JRF for handicapped?
Ans Candidates with benchmark disabilities have an age relaxation of 5 years i.e. candidates with an age of 33 years as of January 1, 2023, are eligible to apply for CSIR NET.
The CSIR NET 2024 eligibility criteria are the foundational prerequisites that prospective candidates must adhere to when considering this prestigious examination. Aspiring researchers and academicians should carefully review the official notification for the specific year to ensure they meet these criteria before embarking on their CSIR NET journey. Meeting these eligibility requirements is the crucial first step towards achieving success in this academic endeavor.